The Reaching Out Foundation Ltd was established in February 2013 as a Public Benevolent Institution, endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient. It is run by volunteers, and supported by donations and grants where possible
We aim to help build a more just society by helping communities identify and address needs of the disadvantaged in our region through co-operative, community-based initiatives and to ‘help communities to help themselves’
The current directors of the Reaching Out Foundation are:
- Ross Williams of Kalaru NSW (Chairperson)
- Paul Brunton of Tathra NSW
- Danielle Collins Merimbula NSW
- Graham Jensen of Kalaru NSW (Treasurer)
- David Russell of Tura Beach NSW
- Michael Salkeld of Merimbula NSW and Bonython ACT
- Carolyn Scheetz (Company Secretary) of Merimbula NSW and Bonython ACT
Where we started
Our founding Chairman, Ross Williams, was involved in a community-based centre called Ricky’s Place providing nourishing food and social connection, which has operated in Bega since August 2009.
This was the first ‘Social Cafe’ and has been the model for subsequent Social Cafes in Narooma (Monty’s Place) and Pambula (Pearls Place). Others are being planned.
Social Cafes provide a dignified and respectful setting and:
- welcome everyone
- offer choice and variety of good quality food from a menu
- provide friendly service by volunteers
- respect individual privacy
- provide information and referral to professional services
- operate within regulatory requirements including safe food handling and workplace health and safety.
- We also share the experiences of those involved in operating other Social Cafes and provide ongoing support where needed.
We support and encourage other initiatives to assist the homeless in our communities.
Sponsors and Partners
Our work is made possible by generous local business and individual donations and our fabulous volunteers.
We partner with organisations including the Social Justice Advocates of the Sapphire Coast, South East Women and Childrens Services, Oz Harvest, StreetSmart Australia, Bega Valley Shire Council, Tulgeen Group, Mumbulla Foundation, Mission Australia, Flourish Australia and local media, churches, clubs and service organisations.